Our goal is to admit forward-seeking students who demonstrate potential to become responsible, effective managers, and who seek to understand the complexities of information and communications in today's technological, international context. AIM selects candidates who have the experience and background to engage in meaningful classroom discussion. Additionally, admission to the AIM Master's Degree Program is based on the following general guidelines:
- You must hold a regionally accredited bachelor's degree. This can be in any number of specialties, such as business, education, history, nursing, journalism, art, computer science, or English. Applicants without a degree from an English-speaking institution in Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States must submit a minimum score from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- You must currently work in a position related to one of the four academic areas in the AIM curriculum (Information Management, Information Design, Business Management, or Applied Research). This may include: database administrator, planner, programmer/analyst, project director, educator, multimedia services supervisor, information technology specialist, or desktop support analyst, to name a few. Read about our typical student.
- You must have at least five years of work experience involved in the structuring, processing, or delivery of information.
- You must make a clear case for your intent to study information management.
- You must have access to certain computer and Internet resources for accessing e-mail, accessing online courses, and doing research. Minimum computer requirements are as follows:
Operating system: Windows XP / Vista; or Mac OS X 10.4 (minimum)
Disk space: 50GB
Connection: broadband (cable, DSL, satellite)
Audio: speakers and microphone
Screen: oversize monitor highly recommended
Computer Purchase Recommendations
Current hardware recommendations available at discounted rates to admitted students through the UO Duckstore. Current recommendations are:
Mac Laptop Option: 13-inch MacBook Pro (2.5GHz)
- 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
- Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
- 4GB 1600MHz memory
- 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Built-in battery (7 hours)
Mac Desktop Option: 21.5-inch iMac (2.5GHz)
- 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor
- 4GB memory
- 500GB hard drive
- AMD Radeon HD6750M with 512MB dedicated memory
- 8x SuperDrive
PC Laptop Option: Dell XPS 14 with 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB)
- 3rd Generation Intel® Core i5-3317U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)
- Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
- 14.0" HD+ (900p) Truelife Infinity Display with Skype-Certified Hi-Def Webcam
- 4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (upgradeable to 8GB)
- 500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Intel® HD Graphics 4000
- 1 Year Premium Protection Package
- 4.6 lbs
PC Desktop Option: New XPS One 27" All-in-One Desktop
- 3rd Generation Intel® Core i5-3450s processor (up to 3.50 GHz)
- Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
- 4GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz (upgradeable to 8GB)
- 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 2GB GDDR5
- Non-Touch 27" Full High Definition (2560x1440) WLED Display with Webcam
Distance Education Regulations
Due to high annual fees associated with maintaining compliance under the federal regulations on distance education, the University of Oregon is not able to accept registrations or applications for online classes or programs from students who reside in Arkansas, Massachusetts, or Minnesota.
For the latest information on federal regulations on distance education, visit WCET Advance website.
In compliance with federal Department of Education regulations, you may follow this link for information about filing consumer complaints with your state authorizing agency.
You may also file a complaint with our regional accrediting agency, NWCCU (Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities). Please follow this link to the NWCCU's contact information page.